Products and technologies
This two day course is designed to get your team working efficiently with Visual Studio 2010 as quickly as possible. The course focuses primarily on providing the skills and knowledge to use the features provided by Team Foundation Server 2010 including Work Item Tracking and Version Control.
The course introduces the various components that make up Microsoft Visual Studio 2010 and the benefits of an integrated Application Lifecycle Management (ALM) suite. You will learn how to create and configure a Team Project and manage work efficiently using linked Work Items and customised queries.
The second major focus of the course examines how to use the version control system to check-in/check-out, branch, merge, shelve and much more. It covers tracking your changes using the new branch visualisation capability of Visual Studio 2010 as well as how to use treediff and annotate to find changes quickly and easily.
This course includes hands-on labs to reinforce practical skills and ensure you’re ready to use the tools on your return to your workplace.
This three day course is designed for team members who are responsible for the installation, configuration and administration of Microsoft Team Foundation Server 2013.
Attendees should be familiar with Visual Studio and the basic use of Team Foundation Server.
Module 1: Introducing Microsoft Visual Studio 2010 and Team Foundation Server 2010
- A look at the Visual Studio 2010 product family
- Introducing Microsoft Test Professional 2010
- The role of Team Foundation Server
Module 2: Creating and configuring Team Projects
- Creating Team Projects
- Understanding Team Project Collections
- Configuring permissions
- Deleting Team Projects
Module 3: Managing and tracking work using Work Items
- Introduction to Work Items
- Creating Work Items
- Linking Work Items to provide traceability
- Creating and using custom Work Item Queries
Module 4: Effective use of TFS Version Control
- Create source control folder structures
- Setting team project wide source control settings
- Setup and manage workspaces
- Changesets and Shelving
- Understanding branching and merging
- Backward compatibility using the MSSCCI provider
Module 5: Quality Tools
- Unit Testing and Code Coverage
- Code Metrics
Module 6: Integrating the team using different clients
- Using Team Explorer
- Using Microsoft Excel to create and manage work items
- Using Microsoft Project integrate with Work Items
- Team Web Access
- Third Party clients
Module 7: Putting the Project Portal to best use
- Using the Project Portal
- Storing project documents in the document library
- Linking documents to Work Items
Module 8: A lap around the TFS 2010 Reports
- Understanding the Reporting Architecture
- Adding new reports
- Creating ad-hoc reports using Excel
- TFS Warehouse and OLAP Cube overview